California Extreme 2010 Video Game "High Score"
Contest July 17, 2010
Paul Dean's California Extreme Sinistar, Tempest, Mad Planets, Tron
Fifth Annual High Score Contest - 7/17/2010
California Extreme 2010
July 17, 2010
Hyatt Regency Santa Clara
Paul Dean's Fifth Annual California Extreme Video Game "High Score" Contest July 17, 2010
This will be a one competition on Saturday, July 17, 2010 with $280.00 in cash prizes given out.
There will be a nominal $3.00 entry fee for the contest.
We had a great time last year so I thought I'd bring back the video game high
score contest again this year to California Extreme (CAX) 2010.
The 2010 CAX (California Extreme 2010) Video Game contest games donated from Local Classic Games
Collections (tentative list) are the following:
3) Mad Planets
Paul Dean's Fifth Annual California Extreme Video Game "High Score" Contest Announcement:
(Contest Games - Sinistar, Tempest & Mad Planets, Tron)
Hours of Contest:
Start: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 12:00 PM
Finish: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 7:00 PM
Manufacturer: Williams Electronics, Inc.
Sinistar was developed by RJ Mical, Sam Dicker, Jack Haeger, and Noah Falstein. Sinistar's voice was
supplied by John Doremus.
"The idea for Tempest was of monsters appearing from a hole in the ground", David Theurer - Game
Designer (Tempest, Missile Command)
Manufacturer: Gottlieb, D., & Co., a Columbia Pictures Industries Co.
Manufacturer: Bally Midway
Thank you for everyone's efforts in making the 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 CAX High Score Video
Game High Score Contests a success and hopefully we will have a bigger turnout at the 2010 CAX
Video Game High Score Event. California Extreme (CAX) 2010.
California Extreme is the "Classic Arcade Games Show". In a nutshell, it's an annual
celebration of coin operated pinball machines, video games and other novelties you
once found in game arcades. There are speakers from Atari and other manufacturers
who usually give informative speeches about the by gone arcade era with an inside
look of how the games were made and what drove these programmers to build these
gems. All 400 games are on free play so it's quite a fun time!
California Extreme 2010
July 17-18, 2010
Hyatt Regency Santa Clara
See you soon!
See the CAGdc Forums Paul Dean California Extreme 2010 High Score Competition Post link
See the Paul Dean's California Extreme 2010 High Score Competition Results link
Rules for the July 17, 2010 Fifth Annual California Extreme Video Game Tournament
Paul Dean Sinistar, Tempest, Mad Planets, Tron Competition
Read First before Signing
When participating in the California Extreme Coin-Operated Video Game High Score Competition (Sinistar,
Tempest, Mad Planets and Tron) activities, services or equipment I agree to the following:
1. The California Extreme Sinistar, Tempest, Mad Planets and Tron high score competition is a one day
contest which will begin approximately at 12:00 pm on July 17, 2010 at the Santa Clara Hyatt Regency in
Santa Clara, CA. and will end at approximately 7:00 pm on the same day. All high score competition game
play must be completed by 7:00 pm.
Please pick up all cash prizes directly after the contest is over.
2. All competing video game players must read and sign the rule sheet and release any liability from
Paul Dean, as well as pay the $3.00 contest fee in order to play in the (Sinistar, Tempest, Mad Planets
and Tron) High Score Contest.
3. Sinistar, Tempest, Mad Planets and Tron will be set at different settings to allow for competition
play. You may play as many times as you want within the contest time frame with referee present. There
will be blocks of time when the games will not be available for play such as during the tips and tricks
seminar etc., and other time frames for referee meal breaks.
4. After you complete the game you must call the referee over before you enter your initials so the
referee can confirm your score. This score will be compared to other scores on that game in the
5. If another player is waiting to play the game you are playing you must let them play after your
game is over and wait your turn until the game opens up again. (THERE IS A $3.00 CASH ONLY IN ADVANCE
HIGH SCORE CONTEST FEE - NO REFUNDS)
6. No player may disturb another player when they are playing or disrupt the high score competition.
If this occurs in may be deemed by the referee that that player will forfeit their chance to participate
in the competition and will lose their entry fee.
7. All of the referee's and judges decisions are final and the player will abide by these decisions.
8a. The basic rules of play will follow the Twin Galaxies guidelines however this is not a Twin Galaxies
High Score Contest and there is no affiliation to Twin Galaxies.
8b You must start all games at the beginning without any Warp advantage from a previous game such
as in TRON. - No Unauthorized tricks allowed on these games.
9. If there is a tie on a game there will be a high score playoff to break the tie.
10. Only a players highest score will be considered for the high score competition.
11. A player can potentially get the highest score on all four games (Sinistar, Tempest, Mad Planets and
Tron) which is a $40.00 first place prize for each game giving a total purse of $160.00 in prize monies.
12. The referee may pull one or more of the games in the competition at any time without prior warning
without any notice or refunds or prizes if that happens to occur. One example would be a motherboard
that will not boot properly.
13. Play all games at your own risk, there are not refunds at any time.
14. If you have any questions or concerns about the competition please ask for clarification before you
begin or find a referee to explain the ruling to you when a problem occurs.
15. Please pick up your cash prizes directly after the competition is over at approximately 7:00pm on
July 17, 2010. Referee is not responsible for payment if a player leaves before the end of competition.
16. The player will not hold liable the negligence of any participants or negligence of others involved
in the contest for accidents, breaches of contract or other forces of this July 17, 2010 Paul Dean Sinistar,
Tempest, Mad Planets, Tron Competition.
17. Complete questions below in full of the July 17, 2010 (Paul Dean Sinistar, Tempest, Mad Planets, Tron
Competition) You have read the rules in full and agree that you will abide by the referee's final decisions
in this competition.
18. All high scores and related press releases as well as photographs of individuals in this event or in
the proximity of this event can be used by the sponsors of this event without compensation by the individual
who's name or photo may be used to promote this event now or in the future.
(Paul Dean Sinistar, Tempest, Mad Planets, Tron High Score competition Cash Prizes)
Siistar High Scores: Tempest Scores: Mad Planets Scores: Tron Scores:
1st $40.00 1st $40.00 1st $40.00 1st $40.00
2nd $20.00 2nd $20.00 2nd $20.00 2nd $20.00
3rd $10.00 3rd $10.00 3rd $10.00 3rd $10.00
Total Cash Monies for this 2010 high score event: $280.00
I, on behalf of myself hereby voluntarily agree to release, waive hold harmless and indemnify of all
contest agents, players, owners or employees regarding the (Paul Dean Sinistar, Tempest, Mad Planets,
Tron) High Score competition)
Name__________________________ Signature _______________________________
Date _________________________ Address/ Phone # / Date of Birth / Email